Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

My car was reposessed on november 14th and i filed chapter…

My car was reposessed...

My car was reposessed on november 14th and i filed chapter 13 onn dec 19th.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

No just the bk. and car is still legally registered in my name as of today... finance co. claims car was sold on dec 14th, but no title transfer or notice to me

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

Nothing im getting ready to send a 10 day demand letter now and wait for response

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

I am currently protected under chapter 13. My car was repo'd nov 14th. Finance co claims car was sold on december 14th but has not according to california DMV. Car is legally registered in my name. I want to write a 10 day demand letter requesting the return of my vehicle.

Thank you...what is your question regarding this?

Can i legally get my car back if no title transfer of bill of sale has been registered with DMV?

The issue is not if it was registered with the DMV...the issue is, was the car sold or not. IF the car has not been sold (as you believe), then I agree with you...your protection under federal Bankruptcy law will kick in and you can demand they return the vehicle...but if it was sold? That protection will not apply.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

How can I find out if the car has been legally sold or auctioned off ? change of ownership?

DMV is a start...as would be contacting the lender (the ones that repoed the car). But at the end of the day, if you believe they are lying to you, you would need to sue them...and as part of the lawsuit you will be entitled to "discovery"...so you will be able to determine the date of sale (if there was a sale)

P. Simmons, Attorney
how can i find out if the car was legally sold or changed ownership?

Again, you can check with DMV...at some point they will have record...or you can sue them and as part of the suit, you can force them to provide you accurate information

Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that

P. Simmons, Attorney