Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

We are a non-profit group...we are behind in our rent, owe…

Customer Question
We are a non-profit...

We are a non-profit group...we are behind in our rent, owe sales tax etc...I am considering bankruptcy for the non-profit but need guidance before I make that decision...I would like time to liquidate our inventory as we are a resale shop and put that money towards money that is owed but how do I handel that with our landlord and what are his rights versus ours...

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am sure their is more but before I go into detail the most pressing is the issue of bck rent with the landlord and being able to liquidate

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
12/28/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Lori, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you today. If the landlord has not started an eviction action, you still have time to liquidate the inventory. The landlord does not have any right to the inventory or personal property in the premises without an eviction judgment (or if you leave voluntarily and leave it behind). I recommend that you immediately sell your inventory before the landlord takes any action.

Hope that helps.

Anything else? If so, please reply. If not, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Attorney