Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I just had my meeting of creditors. I just left a job and…

Customer Question
I just had my...

I just had my meeting of creditors. I just left a job and wish to cash out my 401k. Do i need to wait until discharge date to do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And are you working with a local attorney?

TN and yes I am. He says to wait until discharge. I am just curious because a friend has not had a discharge and she has received massive student loan reimbursement checks and nothing has been said. Is it different for 401k?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

No. I just reaffirmed on my vehicle

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
12/19/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: DrakeLAW, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

ok

Yes, you can now cash out your 401k if you really want to. You do not have to wait until the discharge date. You could have done it the day after you file your petition for example. That is the date that matters for this.

Please kindly rate the question so I may be credited. Thank you. You can still ask follow-up questions.

Did that fully answer your question?

Hello, was I able to fully answer your question?