Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I am a real estate broker. A client of mine wants to file…

Customer Question
I am a real...

I am a real estate broker. A client of mine wants to file bankruptcy because, after returning a motor home ($45,000) and a vehicle ($42,000) to the lender, the vehicles were sold at auction, and the folks are still being asked to pay $15,000 and $22,000 (respectively) on the vehicles......leaving them in the same predicament they were before. No one asked their permission to sell for less than what was owed. (Someone got a REAL GOOD DEAL!) Of course, the suspicion is an 'insider' purchaser. Isn't there some law of 'fraud' against this sort of maneuvering? My people are devastated by this news and feel totally helpless. Thanks,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the RV?

Oregon. 2011......a 39 footer w/4 tippets, 2 b/r, 2 bath,2 story.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of. I'm taking a listing on their home tomorow to se if I can sell....pay off mortgage, and their debts....rather than file bankruptcy....

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes,,,,what if I pay off the mortgage and own the home. Can the creditors come after me?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
12/8/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: NYCLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Attorney
Your efforts to help are admirable. You are not liable to creditors. However if you take title to assets in which creditors have a security interest they could pursue those assets. Otherwise I see no risk to you.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.