Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I was living in thailand for the past 18 years. I had a Thai…

Customer Question
I was living in thailand...
I was living in thailand for the past 18 years. I had a Thai friend back in 2009 that I had given a supplementary card from my American Express Card to, from my US account. They used it fine for about a year and then one month charged a very large amount on the card, then told me they don’t have any money to pay it and disappeared. I was left with this huge bill and I didn’t have enough money to pay for it. I still can’t believe that Amex allowed this guy to purchase 47,000 dollars in one month on the card. At that amount, I would had to have been marking at least half a million annual salary to have that kind of credit. Clearly I don’t! I think sometime in 2012 AMEX sued me because I saw a judgment appear on my credit report. I was living in thailand, so I didn’t receive any information regarding a law suit. Fast forward to now. I moved back to the states this year and was hired to work for Virgin America. I have been working for them now for 8 months. I just received a letter of writ of garnishment from ADP with a copy of the resurrected judgment saying they are required to garnish my wages of 25%. What do you recommend I should do?1. Try and negotiate a settlement for this amount even though it wasn’t my doing?
2. Let them garnish me for how ever many years it takes?
3. Declare bankruptcy?Thanks
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 2 days by:
12/3/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

If you are eligible, you may consider declaring for Chapter 7 bankruptcy to erase this debt completely.

You would be eligible to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, if you meet the Means test—the income test. If your income is equal to or less than the current income guidelines for your family size in your state, you would be eligible to file for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy all things being equal. The income used in calculating the Means test is the income for the 6 months before the filing of the bankruptcy petition. This means that if you are filing for bankruptcy protection this month, December 2017, the income that would be used is your income from June 2017 to November 2017. If you are filing next month, January 2018, the income that would be used in the Means Test calculation would be the income from July 2017 to December 2017, etc.

Click on the link below to see the current income guidelines for your state:

http://www.justice.gov/ust/means-testing

https://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/20171101/bci_data/median_income_table.htm

For more information on Chapter 7, click here.

You can use the following sites to find local Bankruptcy Attorneys:

Nacba.org

Consumeradvocates.org

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Goodluck with your case,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.