Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

If i file a chapter 13 and i have an inheritance in a trust

that I have to split...
if i file a chapter 13 and i have an inheritance in a trust that I have to split with another beneficiary and I have not done the taxes on it yet nor settled the estate but I have used and distributed some monies in the past to both myself and the other beneficiary in order to pay some bills will this be held against me in the bankruptcy as I am also being audited
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: pa yes but I told my attorney not to file and he insisted on it because somehow someone got a judgment against me for 75,000 but it needs to be appealed
JA: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?
Customer: he filed a chapter 13 but i dont think i can go thru with it because of the inheritance money
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i was trying to just settle with the person that i supposedly owe the 75,000 but the banruptcy attorney said he cannot do it outside of the bankruptcy and that I cannot do it either
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would need to claim the distributions from trust to you as income and the trustee needs to be aware of the money being received even if it went directly to the bills. The amount of the inheritance can impact your qualification for bankruptcy, so you can actually be denied the bankruptcy as well depending on the size of the trust and your share.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you that makes more sense than my attorney!
Phone call session started
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney