Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

Going through a divorce now, and soon to be ex-wife left in…

Customer Question
Hello, going through a divorce...
Hello, going through a divorce now, and soon to be ex-wife left in a LOT of debt like maxing out my credit cards. Had to get a personal loan and default on it, going trough a debt relief company to take care of it. I've heard from lawyers from whom I've received a free consultation that she's responsible for half of the debt since it was incurred during the marriage. Been treading water with this loan by getting by paying the mortgage and other expenses, but it's just a matter of time before I'm completely broke. Don't know if I should just file for bankruptcy or go through a debt relief company to remediate my situation. What would be the best choice, although I really don't want to file for bankruptcy because I have a job with the federal government and it could be in jeopardy.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
11/11/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: NYCLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 months ago
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Attorney
How much is the total debt and does it exceed assets?
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
40,000
Normally this would warrant negotiation and securing reduced balances and time rather than bankruptcy which would ruin ability to borrow for years!
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”