Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

BANKRUPTCY: 1. What happens to a home based-business (Travel…

BANKRUPTCY: 1. What happens to a...
BANKRUPTCY:
1. What happens to a home based-business (Travel Agent) in Personal bankruptcy, Chapter 7?
2. Can debtor keep a Rental property (Wife only Mortgage) along with their primary residence(Husband only Mortgage)? Debtors are filing a Joint Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
11/4/2017
socrateaser, Attorney

Hello...you asked:

A: If the business is entirely service-based and has no assets that can be liquidated to pay debts (e.g., real estate, or valuable equipment), then the bankruptcy trustee will generally "abandon" the business back to the debtor at the close of the bankruptcy, and it will remain as the debtor's sole property.

A:

Rental property: If it has equity value above the mortgage balance, then the bankruptcy trustee can sell it to pay debts.

Primary residence: The first $29,675 is exempt from seizure. Any other equity above mortgage value can be sold off by the bankruptcy trustee to pay debts.

However, if only one spouse files for bankruptcy, and the properties are held on the deed as "tenants by the entirety," and only one spouse is the actual debtor outside of bankruptcy, then any property held "by the entireties" cannot be sold to collect a debt.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney
Another question: Can the debtor continue to do business and generate income, during the open bankruptcy process?

Yes. Absolutely.

Note: If you have additional questions, please open a new Q&A session, so that the contributor who answers can receive adequate compensation for his/her additional efforts in your behalf.

Thanks for using Justanswer!