Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I have a Bankruptcy which is still open but Discharged. My…

I have a Bankruptcy which...
I have a Bankruptcy which is still open but Discharged.
My mother passed away last month,
I was served by a Petition by my sister that claims I took monies from my mother while she was alive.
10 years ago I borrowed 9000.00 from my mother and paid it back. But my sister says I did not.I am sure my bank has cancelled checks.
Between 2011-2016 I borrowed $25,000.00 from my mother. She wrote the checks and helped pay my Bankruptcy chapter 13. In addition, the Court knew it was from my mother, and my mother submitted a letter to the Bankruptcy Court that it was a gift.In spite of this, I paid and have cancelled checks for over $15,000.00 when she was ill and in the memo always wrote "Loan Payback"
Question, Can I be sued when my Bankruptcy is still open?
10/19/2017
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

I'm sorry to say that the answer to your question is yes. Under Section 362 of the bankruptcy code, the automatic stay is terminated upon discharge in a chapter 13. Accordingly, it does indeed sound like you can be sued at this time. Of course, based upon what you wrote, it also sounds like your sister has no case against you.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

What is the Statute of Limitations on the 9000.00 loan I borrowed 10 years ago? I did pay it back but it is going to require a lot of work on my end to get cancelled checks.

Hello again. The statue limitations in California for a contract is just four years. Granted, your bankruptcy may have put a stay on the statute of limitations, but depending on when you filed the SOL may have already expired.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Thank you
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney