Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

We have only income from veterans disability and state

teachers retirement disability we are...
We have only income from veterans disability and state teachers retirement disability we are being overcome with medical bills that seem to only get worse and worse. Someone said even with the disability we would still have to file chapter 13 because of our income ...chapter 13 would not help we would not be able to finish payments the issue is the medical bills and needing someone now to assist with care in the home. Is it possible to get a chapter 7? thanks
10/6/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. You may still be eligible to file Chapter 7 if you can claim military exemption. That is, if your income is above the income of the median family income in your state but the debts were accumulated while you were in active duty or a Reservist, you would not be subject to the Means Test Calculation. That is, you can still file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection if your income is too much to file for Chapter 7. To see the current income guidelines for your State, click here. For Means Test Calculation click here. For Military Exemption Calculation, click here.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Unfortunately the medical came after active duty but maybe we should go another way then our income cannot be garnished our credit would be ruined sadly anyway thanks

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. Also, under the circumstances I would not recommend a Chapter 13 for you. That would not be in your best interest.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law