Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I think this is the right area, and not Consumer protection…

Customer Question
Hi! I think this is...
Hi! I think this is the right area, and not Consumer protection as it relates to my question. BRIEF HISTORY: I have always had 700+ credit, never missed a payment, until my neighbors home was in a fire in March. My overhead increased, my bills backed up, I am partially disabled, and this morning, I went downstairs and found that my car had been reposted after 4 missed payments. I never received a default notice an email, as I am paperless, a phone call or anything in the mail. So to say I am in shock is putting it lightly. My wheelchair placard is in the car, along with other medical documents, I am not sure whether I will have to proceed with bankruptcy ... but I do not know what my rights are given that I had no certified default and I really need my medical information from my car
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
9/25/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you, but legally the creditor can repo the car if any payment is even one day late... So legally they are within their rights to repo it if you are that far behind. They are not legally obligated to give any prior notice before repoing under the law as some debtors would try to hide the vehicle if they had a "heads up" that the repo man was coming...

.

However, they have to now notify you in writing and CA law protects your right to reinstate the loan even after repossession, until the property is sold or otherwise disposed of. California Civil Code forces the lender to reinstate your loan if all past due amounts are paid.

.

The repossession agency has 48 hours to give you a Notice of Seizure that provides you with the name and contact information of both the legal owner and the repossession agency. Under California law, the lender needs to serve you (either personally or by certified or first-class mail) you at least 15 days’ written notice of intent to sell the vehicle.

.

This Notice of Intent to Sell must be served within 60 days of repossession, and gives you the right to ask that the lender delay the sale for 10 day

.

You must also be given an Inventory of Personal Effects that includes a list of your personal property in the vehicle when it was taken, as well as information about how to recover your property and the amount of storage fees. The repossession agency must store your items for 60 days, after which all unclaimed property can be discarded.

.

.

thanks

Bankruptcy Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much