Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I had a bankruptcy almost 7 yrs ago. For some reason the…

Customer Question
I had a bankruptcy...

I had a bankruptcy almost 7 yrs ago. For some reason the lawyer didn't file the paper with my bank that said my house was exempt from the bankruptcy. we don't really ever use credit so it wasn't a huge deal but now our bank sold the loan. We have never missed a house payment even through the bankruptcy but on paper it looks like my house is in foreclosure for the last seven years... which it isn't and has never been. my wife called the new lender today. we thought that after the seven yrs it would come off our record like with credit. we are thinking of selling this house and getting a new one but we are sort of stuck. Way back at the beginning of all this we contacted the lawyer about it and he said he filled all the right paperwork. the bank said they never got the exemption form. I tried to contact the lawyer again but his number is ***** and office is closed...Now what? I want to get this cleaned up.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

Im in Michigan. The case was completed 7 years ago...except apparently this one form wasn't transfered

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No but my credit report shows that my house has been in forclosure the whole time but it has not

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Dont think so... I'm not sure what to do next to clear all this up.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Landon Lerner,
 replied 9 months ago
Landon Lerner

Hi, How are you? Would you like to hop on a quick call?