Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I am trying to find an attorney for bankruptcy that will not…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find an attorney for bankruptcy that will not charge me. I paid Scott Allums in Hoover, AL $900 to retain him and paying monthly but he closed my case because I didn't pay him quickly enough. I cannot afford another atty and I need to file as quickly as possible. can you please help me? my number is(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

My apologies, my my name is***** AL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not know, he will not contact me or take my phone calls since he sent the dismissal letter in the mail.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am, I just need help please. my credit has always been immaculate but since my divorce 10 years ago, the ex husband used my name for medical, credit cards and for personal loans that I didn't have knowledge about. I just need help clearing my credit and getting a fresh start please

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
9/8/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Patti you can file yourself pro se no lawyer needed.Feeral law allows you to do this.

Here is the packet

http://www.scb.uscourts.gov/pdf/prose_docs/Chapter7Package.pdf

The filing fee is $335.

Here’s a list of the forms most people need when they file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Some of these, however, may not apply to your case. For example, if you are not requested a filing fee waiver, you won’t need to fill out Form B 3BA Application for Waiver of Chapter 7 Filing Fee.

B 101 Voluntary Petition for Individuals Filing for Bankruptcy

B 101A Initial Statement About an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

FEATURED LISTINGS FROM NOLO

47 Featured Bankruptcy Law Firms In San Francisco, CA change location

Bunting, Drayton & Alward LLP

View Phone

contact

Weill & Mazer, A P.C. (formerly Benjamin, Weill & Mazer)

5.0/5.0

View Phone

contact

Law Offices of Rouse & Bahlert

5.0/5.0

View Phone

contact

Skootsky & Der LLP

4.8/5.0

View Phone

contact

VIEW ALL

B 101B Statement About Payment of an Eviction Judgment Against You (only if you have eviction judgment against you)

B 103A Application for Individuals to Pay the Filing Fee in Installments

B 103B Application to Have Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived

B 106 Summary of Your Assets and Liabilities and Certain Statistical Information

B 106A/B Schedule A/B: Property

B 106C Schedule C: The Property You Claim as Exempt

B 106D Schedule D: Creditors Who Hold Claims Secured by Property

B 106E/F Schedule E/F: Creditors Who Have Unsecured Claims

B 106G Schedule G:Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases

B 106H Schedule H: Your Codebtors

B 106I Schedule I: Your Income

B 106J Schedule J: Your Expenses

B 106J-2 Schedule J-2: Expenses for Separate Household of Debtor 2

B 107 Your Statement of Financial Affairs for individuals Filing Bankruptcy

B 108 Statement of Intention for Individuals Filing Under Chapter 7

B 121 Your Statement About Your Social Security Numbers

B 122A-1 Chapter 7 Statement of Current Monthly Income

B 122A-1 Supp Statement of Exemption from Presumption of Abuse (only if you qualify for an exception to the means test)

B 122A-2 Chapter 7 Means Test Calculation (only if your income is above the state median income)

Expect this to take about a year start to finish.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and good luck here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

B 106A/B Schedule A/B: Property

B 106H Schedule H: Your Codebtors

B 106I Schedule I: Your Income

B 106J Schedule J: Your Expenses

why a year Ray? I was told by my former attorney Scott, that it only took 90 days start to finish.

No Chapter 7 from filing until discharge takes about a year.There is pretty hefty amount of filings.

Let's say 6 moths to a year here.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-long-does-chapter-7-bankruptcy-take.html

Make sure you have a good list of creditors don't leave any out.

Has anyone you've known ever filed bankruptcy successfully by themselves?

Absolutely Chapter 7 is not that hard.You file your forms, they set up a trustee/creditor meeting and you go to that and then there is a final discharge hearing thats about it.People do this all the time.