Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

Why is it legal for a creditor to get awarded a wage

garnishment against me while I...
Why is it legal for a creditor to get awarded a wage garnishment against me while I am in a Chapter 13?This creditor was a debt my almost ex wife had and was not notified of the chapter 13 filing I'm told, but I would like a second opinion an,d also, what good is a CH13 if it doesn't protect you from anything lurking out there in the past you don't know about?
9/1/2017
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The bankruptcy filing stays the garnishment unless a court lifts the stay.

It may be someone was not aware of the stay, and on being informed the levy should be lifted.

Ok makes sense. The attorney I had used failed on a filing or two and I am told I do not have a stay just a payment plan and that even my bank could take the house still if they chose.
You can always apply to the court for a stay and to correct any errors made.If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
NYCLAWYER
NYCLAWYER, Attorney