Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

My chapter 13 was closed October 2016. Last week I received…

My chapter 13 was closed...
My chapter 13 was closed October 2016. Last week I received a letter from EDD & IRS creditor claiming unpaid interest on unsecured debt I paid off in my chapter 13 repayment plan.
Does my trustee and my attorney have a fiduciary responsible to protect me the debtor?
Does my trustee and attoeny have the obligation to fix this?
What is my recourse?
How do I assure I do not get levies and liens against me?
8/17/2017
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney

discuss the matter with your attorney. Have them verify if this was for pre-petition balances owed, and that the creditors filed a claim. Your plan will control, and if you completed your case and received a discharge, there shouldn't be any remaining balances. The trustee only pays the claims, so your attorney is the person to discuss the matter with. If this was for amounts that came due after the filing, you'll owe those amounts. If they are collecting on a discharged amount, they could be liable for sanctions for violating the discharge order.

Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Under the chapter 13 they did not give me a discharge since that follows the chapter 7 because the chapter 7 did already discharge all dischargeable debts.
Terry L.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney