Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

If a debtor is subject to a wage garnishment and the wages…

If a debtor is subject...
If a debtor is subject to a wage garnishment and the wages are garnished at the employer level, what happens to the non-garnished wages? Can the creditor now just go to the bank and get the 75% of the wages not available to them through the wage garnishment?
7/18/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

If the debtor deposits the money into their bank account then it typically becomes fair game for the creditor after 30 days if they get a levy on the account. The wage garnishment prevents more than 25% from being garnished by the employer, but it only protects the remaining 75% for 30 days once it is delivered to the debtor. The only money in bank accounts that is entirely exempt is Social Security and disability income..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney