Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

My ex husband and wife are filing bankruptcy, he alone is

Customer Question

my ex husband and wife are filing bankruptcy, he alone is the mortgage hold and I alone am the deed holder. what will happen to the house in bankruptcy??
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes I went on line to make a house payment and it tells me that it's in bankruptcy, I have lived in the house and made the payments for 9 years now
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 months ago.

if you are the owner, the lien will remain on the home, regardless of what he does. You may want to refinance the loan into your name, and take him off. The lender could foreclose if you don't make payments. often, they shut off online access because of the bankruptcy, but you can make payments by mail. The house is yours, the bankruptcy would not effect that.