Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

After a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, an Equity loan was reaffirmed,

but only by the husband...
After a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, an Equity loan was reaffirmed, but only by the husband. The wife never signed. Does this mean that the loan company now has lost consent? In her not reaffirming the loan or giving consent, does that make the equity loan unenforceable? Thank you in advance.
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: Michigan. The 7 was in 2011.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Seven was discharged in 2011. Equity loan reaffirmed by husband only
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
6/13/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, if there was a loan in bankruptcy and both parties were in the bankruptcy, but one party reaffirmed and the other did not, then you are not liable as it would be discharged to you in bankruptcy, but he would remain liable as he was the one who reaffirmed the bankruptcy and not you.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
But with an Equity loan, they are required to get a signature by both owners OR proof of consent. If I am discharged from the original loan, then isn't my signature or proof of consent gone as well? With both owner's signatures or one signature and proof of consent, and equity loan is unenforceable
. Is it not?

Thank you for your reply.

That is the lender's problem, not your problem, since you did not reaffirm you are not liable for that loan, your husband is liable to pay since he agreed to pay it.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney