Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I am selling my house and I have a solar electric lease with

Customer Question

I am selling my house and I have a solar electric lease with Sungevity. Sungevity filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy and apparently the bankruptcy is over but Sungevity is now Solar Spectrum Solar Spectrum sold my lease to a company called Atalaya Capital Management. My problem is ultimately a company has a UCC-1 filed on my deed. I am unable to contact anyone at any company to help me either transfer my lease to a new owner or buy the solar outright. If I sell my nome without the transfer or buyout then I am in default. What recourse do I have.
Submitted: 5 months ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  NYCLAWYER replied 5 months ago.
Can sue to have it removed. That can lead to settlement. If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.
Is that helpful? martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.