Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I'm n VA. Can I file bankruptcy to include my income taxes?

Customer Question
I'm n VA. Can I...
I'm n VA. Can I file bankruptcy to include my income taxes? I owe $19,000, I've been out of work since Feb. 2015 due to numerous medicAL issues n have been awaiting my disability hearing. The only income I get is $2,598/mo. from long term insurance!! Please guide me as to what I can do!!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
5/9/2017
Bankruptcy Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 6 months ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In order to be able to include your unpaid taxes in bankruptcy, the taxes must be at least 3 years old. In other words, your tax return must have been originally due at least three years before you filed for bankruptcy. So, if you regularly file your return around April 1 each year, then any taxes owing from 2013 or earlier (which you would have filed the return for in 201 4 or earlier) are capable of being discharged in bankruptcy.

If the taxes you owe are from 2014, and you filed the proper return in April of 2015, then you would have to wait until April of next year to file bankruptcy to eliminate those taxes through bankruptcy.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney