Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

Not really bankrupcy but i have received a garnishment

Not really bankrupcy but...

Not really bankrupcy but i have received a garnishment judgement from statefarm ins co, which to my understanding may due to a car loan default and reposession of the vehicle

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Im in california

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

Yes it has i was notified today through my work

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Seems like they are asking for the full price near 30k due which i dont agree with

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sdfsjdf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please note that the cars was taking as well abck i 2013 and i dont understand why irs 31k th full prive thr auf
2/17/2017
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney

Thank you for your question. You can discharge this debt in a bankruptcy case, yes. if you wish to fight the case, you would need to file an answer to the summons in the case stating that you disagree with the complaint, then there will be a trial, where they have to prove their case and amount owed. Two important things. First, if you are getting something at the job, it's likely that the case was won by the creditor, and they are now looking to garnish wages. If this is so, then it might be too late to dispute the amount. If you never got notice of the suit, you can bring a motion to object due to lack of service, and have the order vacated, so that you can try the case. Second, the amount they get when they sell the vehicle at auction is often pretty low, so you would owe your contract balance, repossession/storage fees, attorney fees, and possibly interest on the balance, minus whatever was recouped at the sale.

Let me know what questions you may have. thanks
Terry

did you have any followup questions? if so, let me know, if not, please click accept to close question and rate my answer. thanks!

please click accept/rate to close question so I may get credit for answering. Thank you

Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney