Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

My husband and I signed a land contract on a house four

My husband and I...

My husband and I signed a land contract on a house four years ago. A mortgage guy told both us and the home owner he could help us fix our credit to get us a loan in two years. He did nothing for almost 20 months, then he tried to fix everything within a two month period. The homeowner agreed to let us extend the agreement for another two years but made us pay $10,000 as a deposit and then one full year in advance(we had to withdraw money from a retirement fund). Now the mortgage guy is finally working to make sure our credit is good enough to get a loan by May or we're going to be kicked out. This guy made a lot of promises to us and the homeowner. We've made a tremendous amount of updates to the house because we were told it was ours. New furnace, new water pump, fencing, new appliances, carpet etc. We were victims of mortgage fraud on our last home and lost it in 2009. We were forced to file bankruptcy in 2007 because of it. We feel like we're going to be victims again.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed on what?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This isn't a bankruptcy issue as it falls off our report this year. We feel like victims to what this mortgage concierge has promised us over the past 2-4 years. We entered into the land contract agreement because he promised us he'd get us a home loan when he fixed our credit. Then made us pay $10,000 after he couldn't do it the first time.
1/24/2017
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney

This is an unfortunate situation you need to file a lawsuit for fraud against the mortgage broker,

you should also file a mechanics lien on the current property for the money you spent fixing it up, and consider

a lawsuit against the owner of the property as well this will force them to work with you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is a mechanic's lien?

a mechanics lien is placed on property when a contractor or individual does work on a property, so if you spent severl thousands on the property and improving it, you can file a mechanics lien on the property itself, to force them to pay you back, they will not be able to sell the property till it is cleared.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Makes sense. What would be the premise of a lawsuit against the homeowner? We feel she was promised a lot by this mortgage broker as well. We don't want to move. We've made this our home.

If they try to evict, only she would, you would sue for all the expenses you paid and the increase in value of the home, and fraud, that is if they try to force you out.

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive credit, thank you

WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney