How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have more than 25 years of experience in the practice of law.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed bankruptcy in 2011 and my home was foreclosed on

Customer Question

I filed bankruptcy in 2011 and my home was foreclosed on (Chapter 13) The bankruptcy is now over and satisfied in full. My daughter's name was on the deed of that home and now that she is getting a loan for her home it is coming up that she had a foreclosure. Can you please tell me what she should do I feel awful.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Bankruptcy filed in South Carolina where I was living at the time home located in Georgia
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. In addition to being on the title to the property, was she also legally obligated on the mortgage?


Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No just the deed
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.


If that is the case, then her credit report should not show the foreclosure. Only being legally obligated on a mortgage---not being on the deed---has the ability to harm your credit in the event of a foreclosure.

She needs to check her credit and if the foreclosure is on her record she needs to contact the big 3 reporting agencies to report the error and demand that the foreclosure be taken off her record.

Here's how to contact the three major credit bureaus to ask about or obtain your credit report or credit score, to demand a change in incorrect information, or for any other reason:

Equifax:(###) ###-####(general) or***-***-**** (fraud); P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374;

Experian:(###) ###-####(general and fraud); PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013,

TransUnion:(###) ###-####(general) or***-***-**** (fraud); P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19022;

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.


It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. You can request a call by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your page.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,