Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Want to vacate a dismissed chapter 7 bankruptcy...(6 yrs

Customer Question

Want to vacate a dismissed chapter 7 bankruptcy...(6 yrs old)?
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: KS and no, I only sent a letter directly to the court...
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure... Please clarify?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: All but 2 of the credit issues have been resolved...
I'm in the process of cleaning up my credit in order to purchase a home. I have resolved all but 3 of the outstanding issues, one of which is a 6 year old Chapter 7 Bankruptcy which was dismissed. I need to know what I can do to have it removed from public record. I did a little research before contacting you and wanted to know what I needed to do to have the case vacated? Or if that's even an option... Please advise?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, the fact that you filed for bankruptcy even if the case was dismissed cannot be erased from the public record. The fact that you filed the bankruptcy case would stay on public record for requisite period of time. In this case, ten years from the date of filing. However, any Credit Reporting Agency reporting the bankruptcy must also report that the case was dismissed.