Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Can a credit card levy your bank account in the state of

Customer Question

good morning can a credit card levy your bank account in the state of Delaware?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: I still on a account with my wife in the State of Pennsylvania. I don't deposit or withdrawal any funds in this account only she has access to this account and only her payroll checks get deposited into this account. A credit card company I had a card with a business gone bad has just levied that account. Is there anything she can do?
JA: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?
Customer: they say they have a judgment against me that I am un aware of
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Nothing you can do here to get the money back, the notice she got was after the fact that they have the funds.You are able to file Chapter 7 to discharge the debt and avoid the problem in the future.But the funds here were levied if they have a judgment against you and you were on the account.The wife needs to take your name off the account and you may want to file Chapter 7 here yourself solo and discharge the debt.

Unfortunately the funds aren't coming back, this is an after the fact notice they send to the account holder.

I am sorry, please don't shoot the messenger here.Jut trying to give you honest information about the lalw and garnishment/levy.

Expert:  Ray replied 11 months ago.

Reference

http://www.nlsa.us/resources/consumer/procedures.html

You need to take your name of any bank accounts here, you may rent a safety box and put cash there off the grid so to speak.Pay with cash or money orders.