Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I got a undeliverable notice back but I don't know which…

Customer Question
I got a undeliverable...

I got a undeliverable notice back but I don't know which creditor it is

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And are you working with a local attorney?

Indiana and I'm acting as my own Attorney

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?

No

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Law Tutor, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Attorney

Welcome to JustAnswer (“JA”)! I am an attorney with over 20 years’ experience in multiple jurisdictions and I look forward to assisting you today.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, please consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) No specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship is formed herein. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Please give me a moment to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

What type of case is the concerning? Is this related to a bankruptcy case?

I just need a little bit more information. What document was returned and is this a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chapter 7

So it was probably the 341 Meeting Notice, which was sent by the bankruptcy court to the creditors and it was returned to you and you cannot figure out which creditor it is for - correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct

Okay, turn the sheet over to the other side and see if you see the creditors name and address. It normally shows through the window envelope and then the post office puts that little yellow sticker that says "unknown address" or something like that on the front of the envelope. So turn if over and look for a blank sheet of paper with the creditor's name and address on it and let me know if you see it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It says Undeliverable Address: Creditor Mailing Matrix

We are going to figure this out. It's on there. So, was it a window envelope or a regular envelope? If it is a window envelope it is on the back of one of those sheets inside the envelope. If it was a regular envelope, it is underneath the yellow sticker so you have to peel up the yellow sticker. The third option is that no address was given on your creditor's matrix, but it would still say the name of the creditor. Any luck now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The window has my address and name

Hold on. I am going to figure this out for you. Standby please.

The only think that I can suggest is happening here is that there was an incomplete address given on your creditors matrix and therefore, it could not be delivered to that particular creditor. Normally, it is not too difficult to ascertain where the court was trying to send it. However, in some cases, where the creditor's name or address is not complete on the mailing matrix, it will be returned by the post office with little to no information. The good thing to know, is that as long as you listed your creditors on your bankruptcy schedules, you are covered. They will be discharged in your bankruptcy. You are under no obligation to track down creditors when they move their address time and time again. As long as there is no fraud involved or intent to avoid the creditor (which there is not in your case), the debt will be discharged. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required but is always appreciated.

Also, I wanted to add that each bankruptcy court has its own policies and procedures regarding what to do when a notice comes back as undeliverable. Please contact the clerk at your local bankruptcy court and ask them to clarify the procedures for you. You may be able to examine the creditors mailing matrix to determine which of the creditors have addresses that are undeliverable. I see that you are in Indiana, but I am not sure what District. But here is a link to The Northern District of Indiana's information concerning Rule B-1009-1(b) regarding things you must do to correct a creditor's address, provided you can ascertain who the creditor is. I know that you were hoping for a more definitive answer, but you will need to find out more from your local bankruptcy court. Please rate me well for giving you an honest, professional answer so that the site will compensate me for helping you today.

Did you have any other questions? I hope things are going well for you. If you don't require anything further, please don't forget to rate me 5 stars so that I may receive credit from the site for helping you. Take care!

Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Attorney