How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 118255
Experience:  Attorney At Law handling education matters.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a timeshare free and clear by deed in Florida that I

Customer Question

Hi, I own a timeshare free and clear by deed in Florida that I have not used and I owe for renovation/maintenance fees because the management company shut me out from renting it and referred account to collection agency in California that added fees.
I have a friend that is filing bankruptcy and want to transfer title to get rid of this and I can not sell it. No one seems to want these and I do not want this to transfer to me heirs.
Please help me get out of this mess. Many thanks
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You want to transfer it to your friend who is filing bankruptcy, is that what you are saying?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to transfer title to friend filing bankruptcy. Not sure if I can, resort mgmt Co sent my account to collection agency and will not deal with me. How can I transfer and eliminate this burden. I DO NOT WANT THIS TO PASS TO MY HEIRS. I do have the deed. Resort charges $75. transfer fee. Collection agency is charging about $4500.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your reply.

No, you cannot. It is actually bankruptcy fraud to make such a transfer with the intent to file bankruptcy and you and your friend would both be implicated in such a fraud if you do so.

Unfortunately, if you want to get rid of it and you cannot sell it, there are organizations such as which will take your timeshare as a charitable donation and get rid of it.

Otherwise, you would have to sell it to someone in a legitimate sale and they would have to register it in their name and then if at that point they need to file bankruptcy, you would have nothing to do with the whole issue as it would have been transferred to your buyer.