How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawGuy Your Own Question
LawGuy, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 34477
Experience:  Over 25 years experience representing clients in business, transactional and real estate law.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
LawGuy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A person came to my place of residence to serve me with

Resolved Question:

A person came to my place of residence to serve me with papers. I was not home at the time.
How do I proactively get the served papers from the courts? I want to find out who is serving me papers and get the papers tomorrow. I assume it is a credit card company because I am in debt with them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawGuy replied 1 year ago.

You can go to the clerk of the court and ask them to look up the case by your name and see the complaint in the case file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clerk of which court? I have no idea who is serving me papers.
Expert:  LawGuy replied 1 year ago.
Start with the clerk of the county court. That is the most likely venue.
Expert:  LawGuy replied 1 year ago.
Your county court, that is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The county clerk does not have any records about being served. What do I do now to find out who is serving me?
Expert:  LawGuy replied 1 year ago.

Other than retaining a private investigator, there is no practical way to track the matter without knowing the court issuing the summons. In other words, the summons or subpoena could come frrm anywhere.

You will just need to wait to be served.

Expert:  LawGuy replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an online service where I can find out judgement against me?
Expert:  LawGuy replied 1 year ago.

Just google "judgement search". There are hundreds, if not thousands, of such online services.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know there are hundreds and thousands, which is why I am asking you which one you suggest and does not cost anything, so please provide a few you suggest.
Expert:  LawGuy replied 1 year ago.

I am not aware of any reliable services which are free. The ones I know of all charge a fee for the service.