How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 764
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Default judgement domesticated in NJ. Debtor will move to PA

Customer Question

default judgement domesticated in NJ. Debtor will move to PA for a job relocation. Can the plaintiff enforce Wage garnishment in PA?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 12 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 12 months ago.

Yes, all one has to do is domesticate the judgment in PA and then seek wage garnishment there. There will certainly be some delays in that happening but yes, it can be done.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
even if the judgement is for a default judgement in another state? do you have a reference law?
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 12 months ago.

Yes it doesn't matter that it is a default judgment. The fact that it is a default judgment just means that you may have cause to go back to that state and have the judgment set aside.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
reference pls?
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 12 months ago.

What would you like reference to? The rule that says a foreign judgment can be domesticated in PA?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
wage garnishment in PA for a default judgement domesticated in another state.
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 12 months ago.

Alright, well this statute enables the domestication of foreign judgments in PA:

However, I am glad that you asked for a reference. There is actually no wage garnishment in PA allowed except for landlord/tenant claims and child support, tax claims along with a couple other narrow exceptions. Sorry about that, PA is rare in that sense and I did recall that from prior research but it slipped my mind in responding as I don't often get PA requests on that issue.

If you are concerned the judgment could qualify for wage garnishment I can get you the list of debts that are allowed to wage garnish but if it is for a credit card or some other debt then they cannot.

They can however garnish bank accounts.