How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I have more than 25 years of experience in the practice of law.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently reside in Florida and despite my best efforts to

Customer Question

I currently reside in Florida and despite my best efforts to make arrangements with the property management company they moved forward and filed an eviction. I ended up in my current situation due to loss of employment several months ago however now have a good job and would be able to afford my rent moving forward. My question is can my rental arrears be claimed in a chapter 13 plan? Will this stop the eviction and allow me to continue my residency?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good evening Julie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, absolutely, if you can get your chapter 13 on file before the eviction is final, you will be able to pay the arrears of rent over the next 3 to 5 years and your landlord would not be able to evict you for the arrears of rent.

The filing for chapter 13 will immediately stop the eviction proceeding and eliminate the ability of the landlord to evict you relating to any past owed rent or penalties.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.


Is there anything else I can assist you with today?


Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good evening Julie.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I would be happy to offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. As I have already provided you with the information you asked for and if you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be paid for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,