Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I want to object to a motion for a rule 2004 examination as

Customer Question
i turned over the requested...
I want to object to a motion for a rule 2004 examination as i turned over the requested information and the ch 7 bankruptcy was filed 5 months after i received the collateral in question for payment of legal fees in a criminal case.
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: mi, like what officially filed?
JA: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?
Customer: No I havent sued in civil court because I felt the collateral was sufficient but then the client filed bankruptcy and the trustee is saying maybe the legal fees paid and collateral should be returned to the estate so an examination is necessary.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
9/1/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Terry L., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney

Hi and thanks for your question.

2004 exams are routinely granted. They are basically a supplemental hearing and/or request for documents.

Who is bringing the motion? I suppose you can object, but you would likely not be successful as they are proper under the code.

Think of it as an extended 341 meeting, that can be conducted by the trustee, US trustee, or an interested creditor.

They often are for more in depth issues, where there may be need for production of more documentation, or more complete documentation.

If you supplied documents to the trustee, and this is a creditor bringing the motion, you would have to produce the documents again.

you could object though, but I would suspect that you would be denied, as these are allowable under the code, or the moving party would amend their request to broaden the items requested so that the court would grant this. Failure to comply would be grounds for dismissal of the bankruptcy too, so keep that in mind.

what questions do you have?

Terry L.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney