Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

My only income since 4/2012 is from my SSDI benefits. A bank

Customer Question
levy was placed against my...
My only income since 4/2012 is from my SSDI benefits. A bank levy was placed against my bank account to collect the HOA debt. I understand SS 207 protects me from this happening. The bank (BAC) debited the funds from my account. I contacted the bank and their legal dept. that authorized the debit from my account will not speak or communicate with a customer under any circumstances. There only defense was that the original Social Security funds that were deposited into my checking account, were then transferred into my money market account, which was the account that was debited, which made the money market account exempt. I see nothing in the law that supports their reasoning, nor could they provide me with any documentation.
All of my SS monthly checks have been direct deposited into my checking account. A few months ago, I felt it was in my best interest to open up a MONEY MARKET account, with the idea of avoiding checking account fees, as well as obtaining a small amount of interest. There is a 100% clear paper trail that proves the funds in the MONEY MARKET account are from my SS income.
Section 207 provides protection for SS income, in no part of the law does it state that the money has to be kept in the same account in which the SS deposits were made. Is there anything that is not correct regarding this statement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
7/21/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers. [Proof that you are in good hands].

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Look forward to your response.

ANSWER: While you are correct that the SS funds are exempt, State law governs to what extent the exemption prevails. For example, in NY the first $2,500 in an account that has had statutorily exempt payments deposited either electronically or by direct deposit in the last 45 days before a restraining notice was served on the bank is protected. If there is $2,500 or less in the account, the account cannot be restrained and the restraining notice is void. If there is more than $2,500 in the account, only the balance above $2,500 can be restrained. Usually the bank has to notify you of the garnishment and it is at that time you have to claim that all of those funds are from SS and thus exempt. If there is a still a dispute, then a hearing is held and the court decides what portion of the account is exempt. In your case it appears that you did not receive any notice and the bank released the funds without your having a chance to claim an exemption. You may have a negligence claim against the bank depending on your State's law.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** writing a letter to the court along with my documentation.
So I am clear on one point, there is nothing that would change the law due to the funds being moved from a CHECKING acct. to a MONEY MARKET acct., assuming I have clear and precise proof that all funds are from SS?

No. I have never seen any law make that type of a distinction in this context. The problem typically is not what TYPE of account the SS funds are in; rather the problem is commingling those funds with non-SS funds and then one side tries to claim that they are all from SS and the other that they are not, either in part or whole.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney