Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I am trying to figure out to help my dad. He's 64 a few

Customer Question

Hi. My name is Liz. I am trying to figure out to help my dad. He's 64 a few years he fell on bad financial issues. Lost his job, lost the house and everything went to hell. He is finally on his "feet" kinda, works as a genitor making about 12hrs. an hr. if that.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: oh. California, San Fernando Valley(LA county)
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: He received an involuntary lien on this wages.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Bankruptcy Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

There are limits to how much money can be garnished from his paycheck. The idea is that he should have enough left to pay for living expenses. Federal law places limits on wage garnishment amounts and that federal law governs in California.

For any given workweek, creditors are allowed to garnish the lesser of:

• 25% of his disposable earnings, or
  • the amount by which his weekly disposable earnings exceed 40 times the CA hourly minimum wage.

“Disposable earnings” are those wages left after his employer has made deductions required by law.

Does this answer your question?