How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2009, we sold a house. The title company either did not

Customer Question

In 2009, we sold a house. The title company either did not take out enough monies for the taxes or the tax dept gave the wrong amounts - I don't know which is the case, but enough was not taken out of escrow and we ended up with tax liens on our credit from the county recorder. We found this out in 2013 and paid them. They were small amounts, but no matter what we tell the credit bureaus, they keep showing it as released on Transunion and Experian (not Equifax) but with amounts showing. We have disputed and disputed. What can we do to get these taken off our credit? They are killing our credit scores by like 100 points for the two of them.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Your best option here is to obtain a legal consult with a Fair Credit Reporting Act attorney. They usually take your case on a contingency fee basis and may even file a suit for damage to credit reputation. The FCRA lets you sue a credit reporting agency for noncompliance with the law. You can sue for actual damages, including court costs, attorney’s fees, lost wages, infliction of emotional distress, and even recover punitive damages.

You can also try the following:

1. File a complaint about the creditor or a credit reporting agency with the FTC using its online form. Go to It seems to me that the title company or the county should be involved in helping you fix this with the credit bureaus.

2. Write a letter to your representative or senator if the FTC fails to do anything.

3. Submit a brief statement explaining the inaccuracy in your credit report. The credit reporting agency has to include it.