Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I have been denied affordable housing in nyc because of a

Customer Question
bankruptcy. Can i come up...
I have been denied affordable housing in nyc because of a bankruptcy. Can i come up with a good defense appeal. I dont know what to say. What i do know is that i had identiy theft proplems then, a domestic incident, and i was waiting to receive my social security bebefits as well. I filed bankruptcy in june 2014 and December2014 it shows on my credit report. However because the judge understand everything i went through.. he agreed to seal all my bankruptcys and besides my bankruptcy mainly included my car and student loans which i actually paid for the car and the student loans were discharged. So again, i. Looking for a way to approach appealing the denial duevto bankruptcy. The housing lady said it was denied only because of the bankruptcy wasn't at least 2yrs old. Its onlt been 18months. However the judge is still handling the csse since sealing it since march 2016
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can i approach an appeal after being denied housing because a bankruptcy is on my credit report less than 2yrs. There were many factors that contributed to me filing bankruptcy but in the end i requested to have it dismissed
6/15/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Bankruptcy Code, 11 U.S.C. Section 525 prohibits any government agency from discriminating against you because of your bankruptcy filing. This means, that is illegal for NYC to deny your application for affordable housing. So, you should cite this bankruptcy code (11 U.S.C. Section 525) in your appeal.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your answer was helpful but I was hoping you would have included my options after my appeal in the event i was still denied housing. I didn't rate you right away because I wanted to wait and see the outcome of the appeal. While I haven't heard from them. I will trust that your answer will help me over this hurdles. I still may have a follow-up question sometime this week. Other than that, thank you for your reply!
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law