Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

My ex husband has found mself in a terrible positon. He lost

Customer Question
My ex husband has found...
My ex husband has found himself in a terrible positon. He lost his job and has secured another one but is not making enough to pay his bills at all. He defaulted on about 25k in credit cards, owes back rent and is barely able to pay for food. Woud he be eligible for bankruptcy? How does he file? By the way, he has made payment arrangements to pay back federal taxes as he owes a fair amount on that too.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
6/11/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

The bankruptcy petition can be filed by the individual without an attorney; however, they are quite complicated and can be very intimidating to an individual. It is best to find an inexpensive attorney, and they are out there. He is certainly eligible for bankruptcy and getting rid of the credit card debt should alleviate his finances to the point where he will be able to pay up his back rent and continue to buy food in necessities. The attorney can advise with regard to getting out of order extending up the payment schedule for the federal taxes. That is not my particular area so I will not say more than that about it. I wish you and he the best of luck getting things straightened out and on the right track.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

How does one find an inexpensive attorney?

That's a good question. You have to shop around. There are lawyers who offer payment plans for bankruptcy work.The filing fee is usually paid in advance.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney