How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrakeLAW Your Own Question
DrakeLAW, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 787
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
DrakeLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 20 properties my ex wife and I purchased over 10

Customer Question

I have 20 properties my ex wife and I purchased over 10 years ago from an individual. The problem is that none of the properties have any records at all at the county and the county is calling them Nulls. The assessor will not assess taxes till the paperwork is in order and the title company says it is impossible to get the information for warranty deed. I have a couple questions...........How long after owning property and possessing it can one claim it and how do I claim it? Also how are legal descriptions made? When recording my quit claim deeds I screwed up and miswrote everything trying to abbreviate and all.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. What you are talking about is "adverse possession" and the time in Illinois for that is 20 years. I found a great article for you that explains it: way you settle title to a property is with a quiet title lawsuit. However, since your purchased them it may just be that the deeds transferring ownership need to be recorded. The fact they aren't recorded doesn't mean you don't own them, it only means that your title would not be good against someone else that records an interest in the property before you record. Legal descriptions are generated by surveys. You should be able to find the correct legal descriptions in some of the original title information for the property. Worst case, the legal descriptions are kept at the County. If you messed up prior recorded deeds you can record a corrective deed that corrects the information. Seems that is all you need to do and don't need a quiet title action, but if there is any dispute to your ownership of the property, a quiet title action is what you file.Does that fully answer your question?Thank you for your question. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism, there is no charge for follow-up questions. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no original title information. Nothing exists except the PIN numbers which I have. There is no legal descriptions recorded or previous owners