Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I filed a notice of apeal in my bk and bap took it under

Customer Question
submission, and filed a briefing...
I filed a notice of apeal in my bk and bap took it under submission, and filed a briefing schedule. But the opposution filed an election to have the appeal heard in district court. Im the appelant and i want case to be heard by bap how do i get it to stay there in bap?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
5/13/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Here is the law that applies. It states in relevant part: Upon receiving a timely statement of election by a party other than the appellant, the BAP clerk must transmit to the district clerk all documents related to the appeal and notify the bankruptcy clerk of the transmission. (c) Determining the Validity of an Election. A party seeking a determination of the validity of an election must file a motion in the court where the appeal is then pending. The motion must be filed within 14 days after the statement of election is filed. Notice the mandatory nature of the language used by this code section. It appears that the most you can do is try to challenge the validity of the election as set forth in (c). In other words, did the electing party do the following: (1) file a statement of election that conforms substantially to the appropriate Official Form; and(2) do so within the time prescribed by 28 U.S.C. §158(c)(1).
Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney