Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Can I file bankruptcy without losing my house or cars? JA:

Customer Question

can I file bankruptcy without losing my house or cars?
JA: The Bankruptcy Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Bankruptcy Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have approximately $14,000 in collections and about $3500 in credit card debt and am struggling to make my mortgage payments and my ex-wife is taking me back to court over the collection account that was court ordered for me to pay and I can't afford to pay it.
JA: So many people have lost everything over the last few years. The Bankruptcy Lawyer's on JustAnswer helped me hang onto my house. Is there anything else the Bankruptcy Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Bankruptcy Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what court you will be filing bankruptcy in. Different states have different exemptions for bankruptcies. Some have an exemption for an automobile that the person uses to get to and from work. I do know that you can keep your home simply by continuing to make the mortgage payments after the bankruptcy has been filed. The difficulty that I see in your case is that the divorce court has ordered you to pay certain bills, and if you do not do so you can be held in contempt of court. Bankruptcy filing might not excuse you from that obligation. It depends on the nature of the court order. Find no what court your you are filing in, I might be able to give you a more precise answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The court would be Schoharie County court. Schoharie, NY
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. This is a summary of possible exemptions under both federal bankruptcy law and NY State law: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/new-york-bankruptcy-exemptions.html Regarding the credit card debt that you were ordered to pay by the divorce decree, you will want to read this note:http://www.bankrate.com/finance/debt/debts-wiped-bankruptcy.aspx I hope that this has been helpful.Please don't forget to enter a rating by clicking on one of the five boxes at the top of this reply. We are not employees of Just Answer, and only receive credit for assisting you when the rating is positive.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to enter a rating by clicking on one of the five boxes at the top of this reply. We are not employees of Just Answer, and only receive credit for assisting you when the rating is positive.