How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Albert Marmero Your Own Question
Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 197
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Albert Marmero is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I transfer our Mobil home to my wife's son so bill

Customer Question

How can I transfer our Mobil home to my wife's son so bill collectors can't take it I have been told I have an aggressive form of cancer also have to file bankrupdey were both still working I'm 77 she is 76
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 1 year ago.
Depending on what state you are in, to transfer title to the mobile home you just need to fill out the required title transfer forms with your Department of Motor Vehicles or Department of Transportation. However, if you are contemplating filing bankruptcy, transferring title to the motor home could be an issue. When filing for bankruptcy, there is what is known as a "look back" period wherein the bankruptcy trustee can look back at prior years and see if you transferred any assets. If the bankruptcy trustee suspects that the asset was transferred to protect it from creditors, the trustee can petition the bankruptcy court to invalidate the transfer of the asset.In this case, from what you tell me, you want to transfer title to the mobile home so bill collectors will not take it. This is exactly what the "look back" period seeks to prevent.So, my professional advice is that you should contact your Department of Motor Vehicles/Transportation, or visit their location, and get the appropriate paper work to start the title transfer. But just be fully aware that if you do file bankruptcy, the trustee could seek to invalidate the transfer. I just want to make sure this does not take you by surprise if it does occur.I hope you have found this helpful. If so, please provide a rating so I get credit for answering you. Also, feel free to ask follow-up questions.