Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My husband and I were discharged in Chapter 13 three years

Customer Question

My husband and I were discharged in Chapter 13 three years ago. We surrendered our house (mortgage & taxes), but the mortgage company has not foreclosed and we are still the owners on the deed. This property is located in NJ; we moved to FL 3 years ago. Is there any way we could buy a house now, while our name is ***** ***** NJ deed?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You can buy a house. You need to provide the prospective lender (mortgage officer) your bankruptcy Schedules and Discharge Order showing that you are no longer personally responsible for the Note. Your personal obligation on the Note was discharged in your Chapter 13. Also, your credit report should show that the debt has been discharged. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.