Bankruptcy Law

What will happen if I get dismissed from chapter 13

what will happen if I get dismissed from chapter 13... Read full answer
what will happen if I get dismissed from chapter 13
4/9/2016
Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Bankruptcy Attorney
Thank you for your question.Last I heard, about 2/3 of all Chapter 13 cases end as in are dismissed before the Debtor completes the Plan. Sadly, many of these are because the Debtor had some loss of income and can no longer make the required Plan payments. In my opinion, too few people quickly ask the court to amend the Plan to reflect the new financial realities.Dismissal of any bankruptcy case results in total loss of all protections of the US Bankruptcy Code from that point forward. (A Debtor still can sue a Creditor for sanctions and attorney fees if that one violated the Automatic Stay, such as in trying to collect on the debt after the case was filed.)Any foreclosure in progress can resume under state law.Any lawsuit in progress can resume under federal or state law (depends on what court it's in).All creditors can resume imposing late fees and interest if those were suspended during the bankruptcy (the "no interest" rules are complex enough I always have to look them up).There is no "discharge" of any debts, so they come out of the bankruptcy case intact. EVERYONE can resume chasing the Debtor for payment, file a new lawsuit if one is not already in progress, and otherwise go back to how things were the day before the case was filed.Thank you.
Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Bankruptcy Attorney
Thank You
You're welcome. The system is treating your courtesy as a follow-up question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating so I can receive credit for my work.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
What happens to the money that the trustee has been holding
What happens to the money that the trustee has been holding for my payment plan if the case is dismissed before any debtors are paid? … read more
JKEsq
JKEsq
Managing Firm Partner,
I am currently on Chapter 13 and I want to dismiss it. Here
Hello I am currently on Chapter 13 and I want to dismiss it. Here is my situation:When I filed for Chapter 13, I filed to get current on the mortgage and save my house. Now that that's happened alread… read more
Mark
Mark
Attorney,
My husband and I have been in chapter 13 years before
My husband and I have been in chapter 13 for 2 years before he passed away. He had an insurance policy and I was the beneficiary. Can I keep it… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
This is a chapter 7 question. How long do you have to wait
This is a chapter 7 question. How long do you have to wait to file a Chapter 7 and get a discharge after getting dismissed from a chapter 13 for non-payment? The Debtor was dismissed from a Chapter 13… read more
Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Lawyer,
I am trying to find the option to motion the court to
I am trying to find the option to motion the court to bifurcate a joint Chapter 13 case in my state, but there does not seem to be such an option. The closest thing is a motion to sever. Is a motion t… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
I filed a BK 7 exactly 7 years ago. I got in financial trouble
I filed a BK 7 exactly 7 years ago. I got in financial trouble again and now am forced into filing again as I am being sued several times over and just received a garnishment notice from Cap 1 today. … read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Debtors in CA are scheduled to have a chapter 13 confirmation
Debtors in CA are scheduled to have a chapter 13 confirmation hearing the next two days, bec. of incomplete declarations and substantial increase in mortgage payment to lender starting next month wher… read more
cortrightlaw
cortrightlaw
Attorney,
I am currently in a Chapter 13 bankrupcy. I bought my home
I am currently in a Chapter 13 bankrupcy. I bought my home new in Cape Coral FL 7 yrs ago for $217K it is now worth $80K I have been struggling to pay morgage, car, and bankrupcy pmts so have decided … read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
My Chapter 13 Bankruptcy case was dismissed or is in the process
My Chapter 13 Bankruptcy case was dismissed or is in the process of being dismissed (I don't understand all the legal terminology) I have $20K left of credit card debt. My question is how much of that… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
What happens to our chapter 13 if my husband and I divorce
What happens to our chapter 13 if my husband and I divorce? The stress has really taken a toll on our mariage and all we do is fight and argue.… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
im in a chapter 13 plan my wife recently lost her job we can
i'm in a chapter 13 plan my wife recently lost her job we can not pay the bills outside of the plan (utilities, home owner and car insurances) unemployment only provides enough to buy groceries. We ha… read more
Litigation Attorney,
I recently filed chapter 13 bankruptcy in Texas. However,
I recently filed chapter 13 bankruptcy in Texas. However, this was based on bad legal advice from my current lawyer and I now believe it was a mistake. I have already made my first plan payment of $10… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
Is is possible for the bankruptcy case manager to extend the
Is is possible for the bankruptcy case manager to extend the period for protection from creditors? We filed too early. We aren't eligible to file for Chapter 7 until the end of May. We were considerin… read more
cfortunato
cfortunato
BANKRUPTCY QUESTION Originally I filed for a chapter 7
BANKRUPTCY QUESTION: Originally I filed for a chapter 7 but my case was altered to a chapter 13 because I have too much equity in my home. It's now time for me to come out of my bankruptcy & I have to… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
What happens to an adjustable rate home mortgage in California
What happens to an adjustable rate home mortgage in California if one was to file chapter 7? Does one keep the same loan? or does one get a new loan with a higher interest rate?… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
I HAVE BEEN IN CHAPTER13 BANKRUPYSY FOR ONE YEAR. I WAS TOLD
I HAVE BEEN IN CHAPTER13 BANKRUPYSY FOR ONE YEAR. I WAS TOLD IT COULD BE CANCELED AND IF SO IT WOULD BE LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED.I CAN PAY UP MY 3 MORTGAGE NOTES INCLUDING ANY LATE CHARGES CAN BANKS STI… read more
Attorney,
I am currently in a chapter 13 and unfortunately due to circumstances
I am currently in a chapter 13 and unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I am delinquent. It is my understanding that I can file a 13 again immediately once the 13 is dismissed. and exp… read more
VanDLaw
VanDLaw
Attorney,
I want to fill a chapter 7. I filed once before in 2000 and
I want to fill a chapter 7. I filed once before in 2000 and a 13 in 2004, because of my divorce it was never finished, when can i file again?… read more
Terry L.
Terry L.
Attorney,