Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I have divorced in the middle of a chapter 13 bankruptcy. My…

Customer Question
I have divorced in...

I have divorced in the middle of a chapter 13 bankruptcy. My ex agreed to make the payments, and he did, until he got laid off. Now we must submit a new budget. Part of my pay as a travel nurse is untaxed, as reimbursement for housing and expenses. Can this tax free money be considered as disposable income ?

Lawyer's Assistant: The Bankruptcy Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: The Bankruptcy Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not since the new change

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Bankruptcy Lawyer should know?

Yes. There is only 9 months left in our 4 yr repayment plan.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/9/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Money paid to you in reimbursement for money you spent on housing and expenses is NOT income. If you are paying out the money and then seeking reimbursement, this is not counted as disposable or income, it is paying you back money you already paid out.
But this money is paid in advance, rather than an exact reimbursement. I make $20/hr, but with this money for housing, travel, daily meal allowance, etc. paid with the hourly rate, same amount every week, it looks like I'm making$1450/wk. It is itemized this way, though, on the pay stub. I fear this will be looked at as lots of disposable income.
Thank you for your reply.
It is not income though, it is reimbursement expense, which is different from income.