Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

If my car is in the repair shop when I file bankruptcy can I…

Customer Question
if my car is in...
if my car is in the repair shop when I file bankruptcy can I get it back
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
3/5/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

The mechanic would have the right to hold the vehicle and file a petition to lift the automatic stay and then proceed with selling the vehicle to pay the repair costs.

But, the mechanic would have to get permission from the bankruptcy court before he could sell the propert under the mechanic's lien.