How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31692
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NY and filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009. I

Customer Question

I live in NY and filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2009. I didn't reaffirm the mortgage. I signed of the deed to a third party and I am receiving notices from supreme court. Can I be held liable for the loss the mortgage company takes on the sale.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Yes, lenders can seek deficiency judmgents from the foreclosed owner, but it is limited to the fair market value --- not what is owed. So, that can help the deficiency. Here's a good link: