Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

I own a house in Maryland. Even though I bought the house…

Customer Question
I own a house in...
I own a house in Maryland. Even though I bought the house using my own personal fund and personal mortgage; I agreed to put my wife on the deed of the house in 2005. Since then, I own and pay the mortgage but she is on the deed of the property. Recently she filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy on her own; and the Trustee is threatening to sell my house to pay her creditors. Can he sell my house, a house that we own in 'entirety'?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
2/23/2016
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Maryland is a common law property state (as opposed to a community property state). That means that a a Chapter 7 trustee may be able to sell the entire property even if held jointly, provided that neither portion is not exempt. The trustee must be able to prove that the benefit of selling the property as a whole outweighs any detriment to the joint owners.

So the Court may disagree with the trustee and disallow the sale, but the point is, they can try it.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Are you sure? I found this on a legal document ...
The following jurisdictions recognize tenants by the entirety property in some form: Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, etc. See Craig, supra note 3, at 295; Grilliot & Yocum, supra note 9, at 354
I also found this: Jurisdictions that exempt entirety property from the claims of creditors of individual debtors are as follows: Delaware, Citizens Sav. Bank, Inc. v. Astrin, 44 Del. 451, 455, 61 A.2d 419, 421 (1948); District of Columbia, In re Estate of Wall, 440 F.2d 215, 218 (D.C. Cir.1971); Florida, First Nat'l Bank v. Hector Supply Co., 254 So. 2d 777, 781 (Fla. 1971); Indiana,Baker v. Cailor, 206 Ind. 440, 444, 186 N.E. 769, 770 (1933); Maryland, Annapolis Banking & Trust Co. v. Smith, 164 Md. 8, 9, 164 A. 157, 158 (1932); Etc.

Yes, I am sure. While these jurisdictions recognize tenants by entirety, that does not mean that the Chapter 7 trustee cannot sell non-exempt property that is jointly held if they can prove that the benefit of selling the property as a whole outweighs any detriment to the joint owners - in a common law state. See HERE.

The trustee would not be threatening to do something they cannot do, anyhow.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law