How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 116755
Experience:  Attorney At Law handling education matters.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I stop the interest on a payday loan and make sure

Customer Question

How can I stop the interest on a payday loan and make sure my payments get applied to the balance. The balance keeps rising because none of my payments are being applied.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Alabama has a payday lender law, which is not very strong. See: Ala. Code §§ 5-18A-1 et seq. Under the AL law, the maximum rate is 17.50%; 3%/month after default. If they are charging you more interest than allowed by state law, such that you cannot ever pay the balance, then you need to file a complaint at:
Alabama Banking Department
Address: P.O. Box 4600 Montgomery AL 36103
Phone:(###) ###-####
Fax:(###) ###-####
If the ABD cannot resolve your matter then I am afraid that you would have to file sue the company for predatory lending if your loan is not in compliance with the AL code.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions