How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Its ***** *****. I am helping with my girlfriend's pro se

Customer Question

Customer: Its ***** *****. I am helping with my girlfriend's pro se case. She has not filed her income taxes for years and owes back taxes. She filed a chapter 13 including hoa and mort. arrears. She also filed missing returns from 2009-14 and is due a refund on the refund on the last three. If she is 100 % plan payback can the IRS still offset those returns?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She still hasnt filed her 2003,4,5 and 6 returns. She didnt really have a feasible plan until the IRS amended the claim but her disposable income is enough to make a feasible and confirm-able plan. She still needs representation because although we can do the the numbers the complexity of it isnt worth mistakes.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Bankruptcy Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure is this confidential or should i talk in generalities
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. The IRS can offset any tax refund for a tax return due prior to the bankruptcy filing, with a refund from a tax year prior to filing, even with a 100% plan. The IRS will adjust their claim once this occurs. It's allowed under 11 USC 362(b)(26) This will shorten up her case though, so that's always a good thing. What other questions do you have?