How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2670
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing bankruptcy in calif. I need the legal statute

Customer Question

I am filing bankruptcy in calif. I need the legal statute that allows me to list federal. state taxes as dismissals, retirement holdings and car exemption. can you give me those statutes exactly as I should list on my chpt 7 forms
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

For the car exemption:

If California’s System 1, then the motor vehicle exemption is at California Code of Civil Procedure § 704.010.

If system 2, then the statutes are as follows:

  • motor vehicle exemption: Cal. Code Civ. Proc. § 703.140(b)(2), plus possibly the
  • wildcard exemption: Cal. Code Civ. Proc. § 703.140(b)(5), plus possibly the
  • unused portion of homestead exemption: Cal. Code Civ. Proc. § 703.140(b)(5)


2. What type of retirement benefits do you have that you want exempted?