Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I am halfway through a 3 year plan on Chapter 13. My father

Customer Question

I am halfway through a 3 year plan on Chapter 13. My father has just passed away and there will be some money coming to me from the sale of his home. Must I give it all to the Trustee?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow shortly in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

ANSWER:

Receiving an inheritance during a Chapter 13 can increase what you have to pay into your repayment plan. How much you may be required to pay also depends on when your inheritance was received. An inheritance is considered received when you become entitled to it which is at the time of your father's death; not when you actually collect it. In your case, this comes under the laws that govern an inheritance received more than 180 days after the BK was filed.

The Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida (Glenn, J.) rules on this issue in the 2000 case of In re Nott. In Nott the debtor received an inheritance from her mother one year after the debtor’s Chapter 13 case had been confirmed. The court held that that the debtor’s receipt of an inheritance after the initial confirmation of a Chapter 13 plan may be captured for the benefit of creditors at the confirmation of a modified plan under § 1329.

Based on this your BK trustee may require that you pay all the inheritance amount into your Chapter 13 plan.

I am sorry. I know this is not what you wanted to hear; but I am assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional answer.